Wiltshire Publications

Westbury Utd 5 Warminster Town 1 – Toolstation First Division, Friday 25th March

Westbury crushed Warminster in the closing stages of this high octane local derby played in warm Spring sunshine in front of a great crowd of 451! 

With Matty Mantay outstanding in midfield and Shav Allen firing a 4-goal salvo, this was United’s best result of the season!

This was an action- packed encounter with many talking points befitting of such an occasion and home striker Dan Moore volleyed inches wide within the opening minute. However Town went up the other end and opened the scoring after just 3 minutes when Ebon Mortimer-Taylor headed in Tom Welch’s set piece.

Westbury were struggling in defence and a Welch corner fell to Henry McFerran whose left footer went wide. However the hosts quickly levelled in strange circumstances when Allen rounded Town keeper Callum Hotine and rolled the ball in from a very acute angle, despite a defender looking likely to clear the ball!

The pacey and dangerous Lewis Sparey thought he had put his side back in front on 18 when he put in a rebound after Charlie Heydon had done well to deny Mortimer-Taylor, but the goal was disallowed for offside.

United tightened up at the back, while Mantay began to pull the strings in midfield. They always looked likely to score and after Hotine had saved Allen’s long range attempt, the lively striker got his 2nd to put the hosts ahead on 25 minutes; receiving a clever ball from Josh Ferguson, Allen ran onto it and produced a fine 18 yard finish.

Heydon excelled by bravely diving at Sparey’s feet, but then a mix-up between the keeper and James Hounsell allowed Sparey an opening which he lofted just over the bar. Welch almost equalised just before the break but Hounsell stood strong and bravely blocked the forward’s fierce right-footed volley.

The 2nd half began tetchily and the visitors were the better side early on, although the first bad foul of the match saw substitute Charlie Walton yellow carded on the hour.

A lovely fast paced move at the edge of the visitors’ penalty area between Zayn Alime, Ferguson and Allen went unrewarded then Hotine launched a long ball which his opposite number did very well to advance and clear moments before Sparey got a touch!

Warminster were given a glorious chance to draw level from the penalty spot on 63 when Mike Coll clumsily fouled Sparey. However the Assistant at the opposite end was flagging and, after long consultation with the Referee, Allen was cautioned for an off-the-ball incident. This was ultimately the turning point of the match as the 3 minute delay clearly did no favours for Sparey, who then ballooned the spot kick well over the crossbar!

United then went into overdrive in the final quarter of an hour! Ferguson took a free kick which was spilt by Hotine, allowing Dan Moore to pounce and make it 3-1 on 76.

Sensing the visitors were beaten, Ferguson went on a bustling run into the box and was upended by Jack Metcalf. A penalty was awarded and Metcalf shown a straight red card for the offence; Allen stepped up and confidently notched his hattrick goal from the spot.

Westbury were flowing now and after Ferguson has fired over from close range, Allen burst forward deep into stoppage time and scored a fantastic final goal from 25 yards!

*STAR MAN – Matty Mantay (Westbury United)

Westbury United ; Charlie Heydon, Ben Forester, Reece Mitten, James Hounsell, Mike Coll, Matty Mantay, Levi Wood, Josh Ferguson, Dan Moore, Shav Allen, Zayn Alime

SUBS ; Tony McElhone, Jake Stephenson, Marc Scammell (used) Joe Cavalla, Chris Gait (unused)

Warminster Town ; Callum Hotine, Henry McFerran, Tyrone Pollard, Jack Metcalf, Marcus Brown, Stewart Lisowski, Pete Drew, Beau Blakeman, Lewis Sparey, Tom Welch, Ebon Mortimer-Taylor

SUBS – Charlie Walton, Josh Brigham (used) Matt Gee, Ashley Kinkead, Joel Robbins (unused)