Wiltshire Publications

Westbury United 2-2 Warminster Town – Toolstation League Division One, Saturday 27 December 2014

A bumper crowd of 502 (with 40% of gate receipts being donated to forces charities) witnessed a superb Westbury come back after they trailed 0-2 at half time as well as being down to 10 men!

The afternoon started with a Football Remembers team photograph including mascots from the Westbury Youth teams before the action got underway in rather muted fashion on United’s excellent playing surface.

Callum Cooper had an excellent match in the home defence while visiting keeper Carl Crabtree won a point for his team with several late saves. Although both goalkeepers had early saves to make they were nothing more than routine as Callum Hotine denied Alex Lapham and Otis Young while at the other end Crabtree saved from Mark Young and Nathan Hallett-Young.

A soft penalty led to Town opening the scoring on 32 when Mark Young was adjudged to have fouled Alex Lapham with Otis Young confidently scoring from the spot.

The visitors had a period of strong play without adding to their tally before play switched from end to end as half time approached; Crabtree came out to block Jordan Mathews’ lobbed attempt then Warminster broke quickly through Jack Miluk who set up Otis Young whose fine strike was tipped wide by Hotine. From the resulting corner the ball fell to Tom Welch who fired through a crowded penalty area to make it 0-2.

United were dealt a further blow just before the break when Hallett-Young needlessly elbowed Lapham and received a straight red card.

Playing with a man less Westbury got off to a superb start after half time. Matt Mead’s 25 yard free kick hit both the post and Crabtree before going out for a corner and Mark Young’s flag kick was met by Cooper who powered a header into the roof of the net to reduce United’s arrears on 54.

Then with barely time to draw breath midfielder Sam Clift burst through Town’s back line and fired an unstoppable finish past Crabtree to level the scores at 2-2!

Warminster were unable to make their man advantage count and play became scrappy for 20 minutes, however that was followed by an exciting finale with chances at both ends. Crabtree turned Mark Young’s set piece away from under his crossbar before making a top drawer save when Mead hit a fine long range effort and he then did well to get down and tip away a left footer by home substitute Marc Lanfear.

The final chance came for Town when Miluk rose to meet Craig Sheppard’s deep cross but put his header wide.

STAR MAN – Callum Cooper. TEAM – Callum Hotine, Steven Bryant, Nathan Hallett-Young, Ryan Elliott, Josh Maguire, Callum Cooper, Mark Young, Sam Clift, Jordan Mathews, Matt Mead, Brett Partner. SUBS – Dale Rowlands, Marc Lanfear, Nick Taylor (used) Huw Buckley, Marc Scammell (unused)