Wiltshire Publications

Westbury RFC 21 – 16 Frome II – Dorset & Wilts 1 South, Sat 22nd Nov.

Westbury welcomed Frome to Knott Field on Saturday 22nd November, looking to get back on a winning run.

Westbury started the game strongly putting Frome under pressure. This eventually led to the away side conceding a penalty. Jack Brooks’ attempt however was millimetres wide. On the 12 minute mark Westbury crossed for the 1st score of the match, Westbury moved the ball wide to winger Brooks who had plenty to still do, he weaved in and out of the Frome defence and raced under the posts, he then converted his own try to leave the score at 7-0.

The next 20 minutes was an even affair with neither team taking control of the game and Westbury’s nemesis of indiscipline began to arise with the home team being penalised a number of times. This put them under pressure and Frome eventually crossed the line through their winger, the conversion was missed and Westbury led 7-5. This was how the half ended.

The second half began positively for Westbury when on 42 minutes fly half Aaron Vaughan read his opposite number’s pass, intercepted and raced 40 meters to touch down, Brooks converted and Westbury stretched their lead to 14-5.

However their indiscipline arose again and five minutes later Frome closed the gap with an unconverted try. This raised Frome’s confidence but Westbury’s defence remained resolute and extinguished each attack. On 68 minutes Aaron Vaughan was shown the yellow card due to an accumulation was Westbury penalties. Frome converted the penalty to move within a point.

Being down to 14 men however didn’t affect Westbury, their defence remained strong and Chris Vaughan began to pin Frome in their own five metre line. Following a number of line outs the ball was spun out to the backs who created space for Simon Rose, returning from a broken arm, to glide under the posts, Brooks converted and Westbury stretched the lead to eight points.

For the remainder of the game Westbury’s defence remained unbreakable with Frome only managing to kick another penalty. In the final minute Frome threw everything they had at Westbury, but they could not find a way through the wall of Green and Black. The game ended and Westbury had held out and won 21-16.

Although at times Westbury lacked a bit of consistency in attack they scored three fantastic tries, but the highlight has to be the fantastic match winning defence, which was highlighted by the final minutes of the match, when the entire side tackled themselves into the ground to keep Frome out.

The whole side was awarded man of the match, but special mention must go to Simon Rose who returned only seven weeks after a badly broken arm and 18 year old prop Reece Ball who made his 1st team debut and performed fantastically.

Westbury host North Dorset on Saturday (2.15pm KO)