Wiltshire Publications

Westbury remain unbeaten after convincing win

Story posted on

Sat. 16th Nov. Dorset & Wilts Div. 2 North Westbury 39 Colerne 17

Westbury continued their fine run of form to remain unbeaten so far this season.  The opponents were Colerne who are having a mixed season with some good wins but some surprising losses. 

The home side were the first to score with centre, Lee McClerg, collecting the ball deep in his own half and off-loading to Westbury’s other centre, Mathew Inseal.  Inseal used his pace to out flank the Colerne defence and carry deep into the opponents’ half and unselfishly passed to wing, Jamie Dixon, for him to score in the corner.  Skipper, Aaron Vaughan, who had returned from injury, was unable to add the conversion.  

The next try came from lock forward, Tom Redman, who after the Westbury forwards had powered up field and released McClerg who was brought down just in front of the Colerne posts, from the ensuring ruck Redman powered over the try line.  This time Vaughan was able to add the extra points. 

Colerne then showed how dangerous they could be when a Westbury missed tackle allowed their number 8 some space to break through and with the help of his supporting players who then drove over the line to open Colerne’s account.  Their number 10 added the conversion.

Westbury winger Dixon then added to his personal tally after benefiting from a powerful carry by young flanker, Hayden Adams, into the Colerne 22.  Good recycled ball by the backs saw Dixon touch down.  The conversion was missed. Back came Colerne a few minutes later with an unconverted try, after winning a lineout and driving up field to release their backs who stretched the Westbury defenders and scored out wide.  17 – 12 to Westbury with 10 minutes to go.  Just before half time, Tom Redman scored his second try which Vaughan converted to open the points difference to 24 – 12 at the half time whistle. 

3 minutes into the second half, Lee McClerg, scored his first try of the match after a series of rucks in which Westbury forwards drove up field and released the ball to the supporting McClerg to score.  Again the conversion was missed. 

Once more Colerne showed how dangerous they could be when they added another try to their total.  5 minutes later Westbury’s scrum half, James Catley-Day set up McClerg to score his second try when James stole the ball from the back of a Colerne ruck and with a sharp pass to McClerg to put him in space to score.  No conversion again this time.

Catley-Day himself scored the final try after a Colerne player spilt the ball.  Quick thinking James kicked the ball along the ground, followed up and collected the ball to score.  Unfortunately Vaughan was unable to convert.

With time ticking away Colerne realised that a bonus point was on offer, even though the game was lost, if they could get their fourth try.  So they threw everything they could at Westbury.  However with some sterling work in defence by all of the Westbury team, they managed to keep the visitors out.

This was an exciting match, with both sides playing some excellent rugby and a testament to all of the players for the skills they exhibited.  The result was particularly pleasing for Westbury as they were performing in front of their Vice Presidents who had gathered for a pre-match lunch at the club. 

They were also playing in their alternative strip in honour of club stalwarts, the late Mark Knott and the late Max Bignall.

Picture: VPs of Westbury RFC during their invited lunch before the game.