Wiltshire Publications

Westbury clean sheet despite heavy rain

Story posted on

Sat. 26th Oct. Dorset & Wilts Div 2 North Westbury 24 Devizes 2nds 0

After a pitch inspection on the morning of the match, it was decided that this top-of-the-table fixture should be played, even though the forecast was for more heavy rain.

Westbury welcomed Devizes 2nds to Knott field.  Devizes, who had only lost one game this season, were confident that they could bring Westbury’s unbeaten run to an end.  Devizes kicked off with the elements at their backs and for a good 15 minutes the game was played in Westbury’s half of the pitch, but Westbury were good enough in defence to withstand the pressure and to prevent the visitors from scoring.  After about 20 minutes the home side broke free of the strangle hold that Devizes had on them and worked their way up field.  Devizes regained possession of the ball but knocked it on.  

From the resulting scrum the ball was quickly passed down the line of Westbury backs for full back, Sam McQueen, to score out wide.  Standoff Aaron Vaughan was unable to kick the conversion.  This was the only score of the half, giving Westbury a slender lead at half time.

At the restart, the home side immediately attacked the Devizes try line and after 6 minutes were awarded a penalty, 5 metres out. Quick-thinking Vaughan took a tap to himself and off loaded the ball to his number 8, Reece Ball, who barrelled his way over the try line to score Westbury’s second try.  This time Vaughan was able to kick the conversion.

10 minutes later prop forward, Chris Pearce, scored after his fellow forwards moved deep into Devizes territory with a series of pick and drives into the heart of the Devizes defence. Pearce finished the move by diving over the try line close to the posts.  Aaron Vaughan again added the conversion.

The final score came about 5 minutes from the final whistle when once more Westbury’s forwards won a scrum about 5 metres out from the visitors’ try line.  A ruck was set up where lock forward, Thomas Redman, picked up the ball and crashed over to score his try.  This time the conversion was missed.  

The game ended shortly after with Westbury winning by 24 to 0.

It was a match played in awful conditions and a testament to both sides that an exceptional game of rugby was able to be played at all. The result confirms Westbury’s top spot in the league and still undefeated.

The win was particularly pleasurable to the Westbury supporters, who had welcomed a number of the club’s retired players to come and watch this game.