Wiltshire Publications

North Marlborough 2nds 42-28 Westbury – Sat. 30th March. Dorset & Wilts Div 2

Story posted on

Westbury knew that this match was going to be difficult when they turned up to see Marlborough’s huge squad, plus a liberal smattering of South Sea Islanders, warming up.  

It was not quite the team that Westbury had beaten earlier in the season and Westbury were soon struggling to contain the Marlborough back line and within 10 minutes, found themselves 15 points down. 

To Westbury’s credit they stuck to the task and after 15 minutes they were awarded a penalty.  Skipper Aaron Vaughan kicked for touch deep in the home side’s 22 metre area.  From the ensuing line out, the forwards carried the ball close to the try line, and then released it to the backs for Vaughan to touch down for the try, which he then converted.  A few minutes later Marlborough were able to stretch the lead with a penalty kick, after Westbury were caught holding on to the ball when tackled.  18 – 7 to the home side. 

On the half-hour, Westbury’s number 8, Tom Redman, scored after picking up the ball at the back of a scrum and his forwards bound on to him to drive him over the line, Vaughan adding the extras.  Marlborough finished the half by scoring another converted try.  25 – 14 at the whistle. 

The second half started with Westbury playing up the slope but with greater intensity.  They held out for the first 10 minutes, but then Marlborough scored once more with an unconverted try.  Westbury dug deep and managed to pull back 7 points when Sam McQueen caught a clever cross field kick from Vaughan and with 2 players to beat, managed to jink his way over the line to score, Vaughan then converted the 2 extra points. 

Marlborough once more scored a try out wide, which they failed to convert.  With 10 minutes to go and Westbury working hard in attack and their full back up in the line, Marlborough managed to steal the ball which they then kicked way down field over the heads of the Westbury players.  It then became a foot race to collect the ball and score a converted try. 

Not to be down hearted, back came Westbury at the home side and with 3 minutes to go, scored their fourth and bonus point try when after a tap penalty and a miss move, Aaron Vaughan scored his second try, which he converted.  42 – 28 at the final whistle.

Much credit must go to the Westbury players who at no time let their heads drop and worked hard to take the game to their opponents.

It was not all bad for the team though, they managed to gain a four try bonus point and the club won the Team of the Month award, sponsored by Wadworths. 

Two weeks’ time Westbury will travel to Colerne for the final league fixture this term. This result probably means Westbury will finish the season in third place with only one game to go. Even if they win this game with a bonus point, Marlborough will need to lose their home fixture for Westbury to go above them.