Wiltshire Publications

Sat 7th April, Toolstation League Div. One Chard Town 1 Westbury United 1

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 10th, 2018 at 9:27 am.

Westbury made the long journey down to Chard having not conceded a goal for nearly one month, since they played against Calne Town on 10th March, a run that included scoring 3 goals against Roman Glass St George and 2 against Keynsham, the other two teams in the run for the title and promotion to the Premier Division, surely the Team of the Month accolade was on its way to Meadow Lane for the third time this season?

In a bright start to the match it only took Chard 3 minutes to score a wonder goal, which seems to be the only way to beat the best defence in the First Division this season. A cross came in from the Chard left, with only right winger Max Westlake in the area, Westlake powered volley was perfect, back across Lewis Porter’s goal and in off the post, an unstoppable goal which must be up there for goal of the season.

This was the trigger for Chard to make the afternoon difficult for Westbury and the game continued with no real rhythm. On the twentieth minute a Chard corner was met by the head of Westbury captain Dan Price, his clearance fell to Jake Hiscocks who instantly turned defence into attack with a ball forward to the excellent Mark Robinson who had raced clear of the Chard offside trap. Robinson drove towards the Chard penalty area with the helpless defender chasing him, the keeper raced out but Robinson applied a fine finish past his left hand, into the net.

Westbury had their tails up and the next attack involved both centre midfielders, Hiscocks and Josh Ferguson, Joe Stradling and the Hulbert brothers, unfortunately the excellent move ended with Steve Hulberts shot hitting the side netting. Three minutes later Robinson was on the ball again, this time to the left of the penalty area, his left footed power drive had beaten the keeper but smashed on the angle of the goal and bounce clear.

Ferguson managed to find enough space inside the Chard area to have a shot, which was well hit but straight at the keeper. Even though Westbury were slightly on top of chances created it was Chard who nearly went in at half time in front when a smart finish was cleared off the line by Price.

The second half started and was quite frantic, but not many clear-cut chances came to either team. The pitch was cutting up quite badly after the overnight rain and both teams were struggling with it. The first really good opportunity for Westbury to take all three points came on the 80-minute mark, Stradling raced clear down the right and delivered a low cross which sliding substitute Dan Kovacs couldn’t get enough on to divert it goalwards.

Two minutes later Kovacs had another chance, this time it was a fantastic overhead kick that somehow hit the back of Chard defender Andy Holmes’s head, anywhere else and it was a certain goal.

The game finished 1-1, a difficult afternoon but Westbury are still in second place and three points behind top placed team Roman Glass St George with a game in hand.

Star Man: Mark Robinson. Team: Lewis Porter, Steve Hulbert, Leon Greenland, Jake Hiscocks, Dan Price (C), Matt Jones, Jamie Jordan, Josh Ferguson, Ricky Hulbert, Mark Robinson, Joe Stradling. Subs: Dan Kovacs, Jordan Pinder (used) Dan Jordan, Joe Kirkpatrick (unused). Greg Coulson

Club Secretary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *