Wiltshire Publications

Sherborne Town 0-2 Westbury United – Toolstation Division 1, Saturday 28th October.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 7th, 2017 at 10:56 am.

Westbury got themselves straight back on track with a 2-0 win against Sherborne Town.

Club captain Dan Price swapped the armband for a pair of goalkeeper gloves and put in an outstanding performance, with vice-captain Steve Hulbert carrying out the duties of the skipper out on the pitch.

Westbury made a fast start to the match and could have been two goals up inside the first ten minutes. The first came from a swathe ball out to Liam Milburn on the left wing; he played it to Mark Robinson who took his shot from a tight angle, but only managed to place it wide of the far post.

Robinson was involved in the second chance too, this time he had drifted out to the wide right position and delivered a cross along the ground towards his strike partner Ricky Hulbert. His movement had taken him in front of the defender just behind the front post; unfortunately the ball took a bobble, inches before Hulbert connected, resulting in the ball looping up and over the bar from about six yards out.

By the half hour mark Westbury were still patiently working away to break down the stubborn Sherborne defence. After some good defending, the ball fell to Jamie Jordan who instantly switched the ball from right to left behind the defensive line to find Ricky Hulbert racing through, his powerful finish was well saved and pushed out for a corner.

Just before the 40 minute mark Westbury had another good chance from a Milburn corner. Matt Jones out jumped everyone and his powerful header was on target, but again the keeper pulled off a very good save.

Two minutes later Jones was back in his defensive position; he passed the ball forward to Robinson who was out on the left wing, he delivered a cross which was almost a mirror image of what he had delivered from the right half an hour earlier, this cross though was lifted slightly off the ground and fizzed into the near post. Ricky Hulbert had got across the front of his defender again and this time, with no chance of a bobble, he finished it, side footing it home to make it one-nil.

Westbury had one more chance before half time. Sherborne were playing the ball out from the back when Robinson managed to intercept a pass. He instantly passed it to Ricky Hulbert who rifled a shot from 20 yards which went over. The first half finished 1-0 to Westbury.

Westbury came out in the second half looking to control the game, but with only a one-goal lead, things were never going to be that comfortable. Early on Dan Jordan, playing in central defence, showed his composure by dropping a shoulder as the Sherborne striker applied pressure, to send him the wrong way and calmly stride away with the ball. There was some good stuff being played by Westbury in the first ten minutes of the second half, especially a superb quick one touch passage of play around the edge of the Sherborne box on the 55 minute mark.

By 60 minutes Sherborne had managed to break up Westbury’s play by pressing and harassing in numbers. The game turned a bit scrappy due to the defensive quality of both teams and the fact the they were both winning the ball back quickly, meaning the other team could not have any prolonged periods in possession.

Jamie Jordan had a good shot from a central position that resulted in a corner and Jones blocked a dangerous looking shot on 65 minutes.

Late in the game Westbury were nearly made to pay. A good delivery from the Sherborne right was met with a powerful header that looked destined to land in the net, but Dan Price moved across his goal and at full stretch made an excellent save. The 86th minute was a minute to forget for Leon Greenland. He was in the right back position under pressure by a Sherborne player when he swung his right foot to hook the ball clear, but only managed to kick his own foot and nudge the ball out for a throw. The resulting throw in was sent into the Westbury box. As it was played clear, Greenland was pushing up with no-one around him but ended up on the floor after being fouled by himself.

Jones thought he could kick the ball high enough to waste the remaining minute with 95minutes played, but the referee insisted that there was still one more minute to go, so Ricky Hulbert decided to head for the corner. As he was protecting the ball the referee blew for a foul and a free kick to Sherborne. Their goalkeeper went out to the corner to send the ball up field, but it only got as far as the head of Joe Kirkpatrick. He headed it back towards the danger area as the keeper was sprinting back towards his goal, but Sherborne managed to clear it again, but this time only as far as Jake Hiscocks.  He opted to play the ball round the corner for George Bendle to chase, Bendle charged past the defender and finished to make it 2-0.

Westbury Team: Dan Price, Joe Kirkpatrick, Leon Greenland, Steve Hulbert©, Dan Jordan, Matt Jones, Jamie Jordan, Jake Hiscocks, Ricky Hulbert, Mark Robinson, Liam Milburn. Subs:Josh Ferguson, George Bendle (used) Matt Mantay (unused).

Westbury Star Man: Dan Price

Greg Coulson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *