Wiltshire Publications

Saturday 7th October Toolstation Western League Division One Westbury United 8 Portishead Town 0

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 10th, 2017 at 10:03 am.

WESTBURY were simply gr-eight as they saw off Portishead at Meadow Lane.

The win cements United’s place at the top of the Toolstation Western League Division One, with 29 points from 13 unbeaten games with a record of eight wins and five draws from 13 games.

Westbury showed their intent straight from the kick-off, they got the ball down and were playing some sumptuous football. It was quick but patient, regularly working the ball forward and coming up against the Portishead defensive block so they would play the ball back, switch it to the other wing and try again. Just after the ten-minute mark Westbury were defending a corner, which came out for Steve Hulbert to clear. His clearance set up his brother Ricky to go one-on-one with the defender, and he was brought down for a Westbury free kick. Milburn stepped up to deliver, which was saved by the keeper and went out for a throw. A quick throw was taken by Jamie Jordan who received the ball back and with a little trickery, got away from his defender and delivered a dangerous cross which had to be tipped over by the goalkeeper.

Disaster nearly struck on the 15-minute mark when the wind picked up and managed to blow my pen onto the pitch; thankfully Dan Jordan was on hand to retrieve it so I could continue to take notes.

Shortly after my pen was recovered the Portishead No.6 flew into a tackle on Jamie Jordan. He instantly knew what he had done and was shown a red card by the referee. His conduct was exemplary, he left the pitch without any fuss, showing great respect for the referee’s decision. Even though they were down to ten men, Portishead were the next to have a chance. It was a breakaway counter attack, their striker managed to race clear and get a shout off on target, Lewis Porter was well positioned in the Westbury goal and made the save look routine.

Westbury opened the scoring on the 30-minute mark. A Jamie Jordan corner was guided home by Steve Hulbert’s glancing header. Ten minutes later Steve nearly made it two when Dan Kovacs played the ball to him in the inside right position, he turned inside and sent a left foot swinger goal-bound, but the keeper managed to save it onto the post. Just before halftime Westbury finally got their second. Ricky Hulbert was out in the left-wing position, he delivered a cross which went across the penalty area to Liam Milburn who controlled it with his chest and fired a left foot shot in off the far post.

Joe Kirkpatrick was introduced at half time and he got involved in the action straight away. Racing clear down the right wing, he delivered a low cross into the six-yard box, Kovacs made a run between the two defenders and neither of them could stop him from making it 3-0. Westbury were in full control now but it took until the 60-minute mark for the fourth goal. Milburn got his second, an in-swinging corner evaded everyone and managed to curl inside the far post. The fifth goal was again from a Milburn corner, but this time it needed Westbury Captain Dan Price to power the ball home with his head. The sixth goal came from open play. Jamie Jordan threaded a pass through to Mark Robinson who had just come on. Robinson broke through the offside trap, he faked a shot which sat the keeper down, continued to move to his right and finished.

The seventh goal was probably the best of the game. Jake Hiscocks sent the ball forward, Robinson flicked it on to his strike partner Ricky Hulbert who unleashed a powerful left foot volley from the corner of the 18-yard box, which was past the keeper before he could react. The final goal was another pin-point delivery from the corner by Milburn. This time Matt Jones was there to meet it and head home. 8-0 was the final score, and Westbury were excellent throughout the team. This gives them the ideal preparation for the long trip down to Christchurch for their FA Vase replay on Wednesday evening, followed by a visit from Marlborough Town in the Wiltshire Senior cup the Wednesday after. The next league action is away to Bishop Sutton on Tuesday 24th October.

Westbury Team: Lewis Porter, Dan Jordan, Leon Greenland, Steve Hulbert, Dan Price©, Matt Jones, Jamie Jordan, Jake Hiscocks, Ricky Hulbert, Dan Kovacs, Liam Milburn. Subs: Joe Kirkpatrick, Mark Robinson, George Bendle (used). Star Man: Liam Milburn.

Reports by Greg Coulson